Accessible tourism is the ongoing endeavour to ensure tourist destinations, products and services are accessible to all people, regardless of their physical limitations, disabilities or age.
People with access requirements include those with young children in prams, seniors with mobility requirements and people with permanent or temporary disabilities. Their access requirements may include: Physical/mobility; Hearing; Vision; Cognitive.
Australian policies and legislation
National Disability Strategy 2010-2020: The focus of the National Disability Strategy is improving access to mainstream services. A range of actions within the Strategy will help ensure more people with disability can enjoy holiday travel.
Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act 1992: The Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act 1992 protects people with a disability from discrimination and legislates that reasonable adjustments are made to reduce barriers for people with a disability.
Resources and contacts
- Understanding the opportunity for Australia in Accessible Tourism. Tourism Research Australia, in partnership with Tourism, Events and Visitor Economy branch of the Victorian Government, and Tourism and Events Queensland, commissioned a study into accessible tourism in Victoria, Queensland and Australia. The research was conducted between April and August 2017.
- PhotoAbility – Stock image library featuring individuals with disabilities in travel, leisure and lifestyle settings.
- Push Adventures – Push Adventures is a South Australian business, founded in 2014, that offers advice to make tourism businesses inclusive and accessible by a whole range of guests.
- Sydney for All – A visitors' guide to Sydney using universal icons to help users decide which attractions provide the appropriate level of access.
- Accessible Victoria – The official tourist site for Melbourne and Victoria including information on accessible accommodation, activities and attractions and the best ways to get around in Melbourne and Victoria.
- TravAbility – TravAbility is dedicated to Inclusive Tourism through education, advocacy, and by providing accessibility information for the world’s best travel destinations.
- Travellers Aid Australia – An organisation that provides simple, practical travel-related support and aid to help visitors of all backgrounds travel independently and confidently.
- Vision Australia – Vision Australia (an organisation which assists those with vision impairment) has a large range of fact sheets on issues relating to people who are blind and vision impaired. The fact sheets range from accessible design for homes to customer service tips.
- Lonely Planet's accessible travel guide