The world’s food and wine elite gather to experience the best of our country's food and wine at the Restaurant Australia marketplace
14 November 2014
Today a culinary who’s who, representing some of the world’s most influential and respected food and wine VIPs came together in Hobart at the Restaurant Australia Marketplace, ahead of the highly anticipated ‘Invite The World To Dinner’ Gala event.
Over 80 influencers from across the globe including US chef and author Alice Waters, British food critic A.A. Gill, Chinese Masterchef judge Yifan Liu and Indian chef Sanjeev Kapoor, gathered at the Restaurant Australia Marketplace after a week spent exploring the best of Australia’s food and wine experiences.
The group came together for the first time to rub shoulders with the Australian food and wine elite, including Restaurant Australia Head Chefs Ben Shewry, Peter Gilmore and Neil Perry AM, as well as ambassadors and gastronomic heavy weights such as Maggie Beer and Matt Moran, to sample premium produce from across the country.
Hosted by a selection of local producers and wine makers from each State and Territory, the food stalls represented each region’s food and wine offering and featured:
- New South Wales - Mandagery Creek venison accompanied by seasonal fruit, cheese and some of the Hunter Valley’s finest wines
- Northern Territory - saltwater barramundi, cured with Australian native wattle seed and served with finger lime aioli on a potato crisp.
- Queensland - a selection of three canapés including tempura Moreton Bay bug, Saku yellow fin tuna and tiger prawn san choy bow
- South Australia - classic carpaccio using aged sirloin accompanied by mayonnaise created using six local ingredients
- Tasmania - the ultimate wine and cheese tasting, with a selection of Bruny Island Cheese Co. produces served alongside a selection of Tasmania’s premium sparkling
- Victoria - a unique dessert by Melbourne rising star, Scott Pickett The Estelle and Saint Crispin, complemented by local wines and Melbourne coffee
- ACT - Poachers Pantry kangaroo prosciutto and smoked chicken breast paired with a selection of handpicked wines
- Western Australia – sweet and savoury dishes using fresh ingredients from the state’s South West, paired with WA’s regional fine wines
John O’Sullivan, Tourism Australia Managing Director, said the showcase of Australia’s finest food, wine and culinary experiences served as the perfect precursor to the ‘Invite The World To Dinner’ Gala event at MONA this evening.
“This has been a wonderful opportunity for our international guests to meet their dining companions, discuss some of the amazing experiences they have enjoyed throughout the country this week and sample, once again, some of our country’s finest produce and wines. Hopefully we’ve whet their appetite and anticipation ahead of the gala dinner tonight,” he said.
Ensuring no produce went to waste, not-for-profit organisation Foodbank were also on hand to collect any surplus produce from the Marketplace event, distributing to community agencies that provide food assistance to those in need.
Restaurant Australia is Tourism Australia’s global food and wine campaign, aimed at increasing international awareness of Australia’s impressive food and wine experiences and in turn increasing visitation into the country.
For more information, please visit http://www.restaurantaustraliamedia.com
For further interviews, images or further details please contact:
- Samantha Vassos, 0403 602 345, SamanthaV@ThisIsMango.com.au
- Julian Rosenberg, 0431 602 742, JulianR@ThisIsMango.com.au
Contacts for this article