22 July 2015
Tourism Australia and the Expedia group have signed a multi-million dollar three-year marketing partnership aimed at developing campaigns and content to increase international travel to Australia.
The three year Memorandum of Understanding represents the first formal agreement which Tourism Australia has entered into with a global online travel agency.
Tourism Australia Managing Director, John O'Sullivan, said the new commercial agreement was a deliberate move to focus on strategic partnerships which increased travel bookings and drove yield.
"Expedia is one of the world’s leading travel companies with 20 years’ experience of generating travel sales. It’s this expertise and impressive track record we are excited to be tapping into through this exciting new partnership.
"Our research shows that our target customers are increasingly turning to online travel agencies when it comes to booking travel which makes Expedia an ideal conversion partner, particularly from our recently revamped australia.com website," Mr O’Sullivan said.
"Partnerships are critical to Tourism Australia in terms of us increasing our customer reach, providing cut-through for our destination messaging and, ultimately, making it easier for consumers to plan, book and buy quality Australian tourism products."
"Through our strategic co-operative partnership with Tourism Australia, we look forward to creating collaborative campaigns with our Expedia brand around the world to raise awareness and inspire more visitors to experience the natural beauty, unique cuisine, wonderful wine and so much more that Australia has to offer," said Noah Tratt, global senior vice president, Expedia Media Solutions.
The first year of the agreement will focus on major campaign activity in the USA and UK, two of Australia's highest volume and highest spending markets. Marketing activities will be extended to additional markets over the course of the three year deal.
Mr O’Sullivan said that the partnership would extend beyond marketing to also include shared reporting on consumer insights and data analytics.
About the Expedia group
The Expedia group (NASDAQ: EXPE) is one of the world’s leading travel companies, with an extensive brand portfolio that includes leading online travel brands, such as:
- Expedia.com®, a leading full service online travel agency with localized sites in 31 countries
- Hotels.com®, the hotel specialist with localized sites in more than 60 countries
- Hotwire®, a leading discount travel site that offers opaque deals in 12 countries throughout North America, Europe and Asia
- Travelocity®, a pioneer in online travel and a leading online travel agency in the US and Canada
- Egencia®, a leading corporate travel management company
- Venere.com™, the online hotel reservation specialist in Europe
- trivago®, a leading online hotel metasearch company with sites in 51 countries
- Wotif Group, a leading operator of travel brands in the Asia-Pacific region, including Wotif.com ®, lastminute.com.au®, travel.com.au, Asia Web Direct®, LateStays.com and GoDo.com.au
- Expedia Local Expert®, a provider of online and in-market concierge services, activities, experiences and ground transportation in hundreds of destinations worldwide
- Classic Vacations®, a top luxury travel specialist
- Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, a provider of exceptional value and expert advice for travelers booking cruises and vacations through its network of 180 franchise locations across North America
- CarRentals.com™, the premier car rental booking company on the web
The company delivers consumers value in leisure and business travel, drives incremental demand and direct bookings to travel suppliers, and provides advertisers the opportunity to reach a highly valuable audience of in-market consumers through Expedia® Media Solutions. Expedia also powers bookings for some of the world’s leading airlines and hotels, top consumer brands, high traffic websites, and thousands of active affiliates through Expedia® Affiliate Network. For corporate and industry news and views, visit us at www.expediainc.com or follow us on Twitter @expediainc.
Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. © 2015 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
Contacts for this article
Expedia Media Solutions
+1 425 679 8090