29 October 2014
Tourism Australia and Virgin Australia have today announced plans to increase the value of their three year marketing partnership to A$20 million making Virgin Australia the largest airline partner of the national tourism body.
Both parties will jointly spend more than A$10m during 2015 Financial Year promoting Australia to leisure travellers in the United States and New Zealand.
The expansion to the existing three year Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) includes support for Tourism Australia's recently announced Restaurant Australia campaign, the global Invite the World to Dinner launch event, the Australian Tourism Exchange in 2015 as well as targeted support for Tourism Australia's business events and international media hosting programs.
Each partner has agreed to contribute A$3m in cash towards joint marketing activities targeting the US and New Zealand, as well as an additional A$2.1m each in sponsorship arrangements.
Tourism Australia Managing Director, John O'Sullivan, said the latest expansion to its marketing partnership with Virgin Australia was significant, and would further strengthen inbound tourism from two of Australia's highest volume markets.
"The funding announced brings the total value of our three year marketing partnership to a significant A$20m, making Virgin Australia now our most valuable commercial airline partner.
"This is a partnership which continues to evolve with Virgin Australia now making significant contributions to Tourism Australia's global campaigns and marketing activities, as well as some of our industry's most important trade and business events," he said.
As part of the expanded deal, Virgin Australia will become Tourism Australia's exclusive airline partner on all Restaurant Australia campaigns in the US and New Zealand for 2014 and 2015, as well as receive sponsorship recognition at a number of Tourism Australia events and activities.
Virgin Australia Chief Customer Officer Mark Hassell said; "As one of Australia's largest airlines connecting to more than 450 destinations worldwide, we play a vital role in flying visitors into and around Australia. This is why we continue to invest significantly as the major Australian airline partner of Tourism Australia.
"The expanded partnership announced today will allow Virgin Australia to jointly host major tourism events putting Australia on the world stage and showcasing the airline and our service to important international visitors, influencers and decision makers. We look forward to continuing to take the partnership to new heights in 2015."
Together, the United States and New Zealand account for more than a quarter for Australia's international visitors.
Key partnership highlights:
- May 2012: Three year partnership launches to the value of $6m.
- December 2012: Partnership doubles in value to $12m.
- March 2013: 'Best Jobs in the World' campaign launches.
- December 2013: ‘Dreamtime' event held in Melbourne, showcasing business events in Australia to 100 international business decision makers and media.
- March 2014: ‘Someday', highest value joint US campaign launches.
- May 2014: Australian Tourism Exchange (ATE14), promoting Australia to 600 delegates from nearly 40 countries.
- May 2014: Partnership increases in value to S16m.
- October 2014: Total partnership expands to $20m with additional activities agreed for 2014/15: Restaurant Australia, Australian Tourism Exchange (ATE15), business events and international media hosting.
For more information contact:
0478 403 606