There’s nothing like Australia – especially when it comes to world-class aquatic and coastal beauty
From early 2016, Tourism Australia's 'There’s nothing like Australia' campaign is putting the spotlight on one of Australia’s key competitive advantages - our aquatic and coastal offering. Backed by Tourism Australia's consumer research, this focus both defends our high ranking for world-class natural beauty in today’s competitive market and renews and reinvigorates consumers' perceptions of our country's aquatic and coastal offering.
Latest campaign activity
Aquatic and Coastal campaign to embrace fishing experiences
Tourism Australia’s latest iteration of the aquatic and coastal campaign will showcase unique and varied fishing experiences. The hugely popular sport has been identified as the next big thing for marketing Australia, with research showing it to be an area of ‘untapped tourism potential’.
Tourism Australia Managing Director John O’Sullivan said in the last year, 315,000 international visitors tried their hand at fishing, representing five per cent of all tourists. “Fishing is one of Australia’s biggest sports and leisure pastimes but international awareness of just how much our country has to offer in this area is something we want to improve,” Mr O’Sullivan said. Read more.
Aquatic and coastal campaign launched in New York
Tourism Australia launched its new $40 million multi-platform global marketing campaign, which highlights the country’s world-class aquatic and coastal experiences, at an event in New York on Australia Day eve 2016, attended by Australia’s Minister for Foreign Affairs the Hon. Julie Bishop. Guests at the event were treated to immersive ‘virtual reality’ displays and aquatic-themed images being projected onto the ice rink at the iconic Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park alongside the reveal of a new broadcast ad, featuring a voiceover by Australian actor and new Tourism Australia global ambassador Chris Hemsworth.
Read the press release to find out more about the launch event and view the new ad below.
As part of the $40 million multi-platform marketing campaign global roll out, a range of new 'There’s nothing like Australia' campaign assets are being developed highlighting examples of what is unique about our country’s aquatic and coastal offering. These include:
- New technology and digital assets, including VR and 360 mobile that can be viewed on multiple platforms and provides compelling content for media and distribution partners to bring to life aquatic and coastal experiences.
- A new broadcast ad (view above) highlighting examples of Australia’s world class aquatic and coastal product and experiences to be used in broadcast, cinema and digital channels.
- New print and digital executions, including interactive and rich media digital advertising banners.
- Online video content and short films, including a three-part documentary series of the Great Barrier Reef filmed by David Attenborough, expected to air early in 2016 across more than 130 countries.
- New consumer, media and trade itineraries.
Details of upcoming campaign activity will be communicated through Essentials newsletter
There will be a number of opportunities for industry to be involved in and to support the campaign.
- Industry can submit their best aquatic and coastal video, film, stills and social content via existing Tourism Australia channels, including Facebook, twitter and Instagram. The best user-generated content will be curated and featured across Tourism Australia’s platforms and in content initiatives. Find out more.
- Industry will be able to access new campaign assets from Tourism Australia for use in their own marketing activities.
View our slideshow of the best aquatic and coastal photos submitted to Tourism Australia's social media channels.
Aquatic and coastal strategy
Tourism Australia’s consumer research conducted across 11 of Australia’s key tourism markets shows that aquatic and coastal experiences are amongst the greatest drivers of international visitor demand, specifically to Australia. Two out of three international visitors enjoy Australia’s aquatic or coastal environments in some way – from scuba diving to simply going to the beach.
However, while Australia is known for world-class natural beauty, the world still doesn’t have a good enough understanding of the breadth, depth and quality of our natural offering.
Aquatic and coastal experiences infographic (February 2016)
70 per cent of our international visitors enjoy aquatic and coastal experiences as part of their trip to Australia and rank Australia #1 for marine wildlife and remote and developed coastal beaches and aquatic locations. Download our aquatic and coastal experiences infographic to find out more about the contribution Australia’s world-class aquatic and coastal offering makes to the visitor economy and how international travellers rate their experiences.
More details about the campaign will be communicated through Essentials newsletter.
Check the 'There's nothing like Australia' campaign factsheets, media releases and campaign assets pages for regular updates and information.