National Long-Term Tourism Strategy © Tourism Australia
Tourism 2020 is a whole-of-government and industry long-term strategy to build the resilience and competitiveness of Australia’s tourism industry and grow its economic contribution.
Tourism 2020 focuses on improving the industry’s performance and competitiveness by pursuing new opportunities for growth and addressing supply-side factors.
The Tourism 2020 goal is to achieve more than $115 billion in overnight spend by 2020 (up from $70 billion in 2009).
Tourism Australia shares this goal with the Australian tourism industry and federal, state and territory governments in an effort to maximise tourism’s economic contribution to the Australian people.
Read more about the Tourism 2020 strategy.
How we’re tracking
When Tourism 2020 launched, it was presented as a range of A$115 to A$140 billion, reflecting scenarios from maintaining to increasing market share across key markets (linear trend growth was estimated at $97 billion).
We are on track to achieve our goal of more than A$115 billion in overnight spend by 2020.
Tourism 2020 strategy development
The timeline provides a snapshot of Tourism 2020 reports. These reports are available to download from the quick links below.
Australian Government priorities
Tourism ministers from the Australian and State and Territory Governments have identified four policy priorities under Tourism 2020:
- encourage high-quality tourism experiences, including Indigenous tourism
- limit the tax, red tape and other regulatory burden industry faces
- undertake coordinated and effective marketing campaigns to drive demand
- work with industry to support the development of tourism infrastructure that can drive demand.
The Austrade website hosts various publications and research that outlines the key actions needed to assist industry reach its potential.
Read more about the Australian Government Tourism 2020 priorities and initiatives.
Tourism 2020 quick links
- The Jackson report 2009
- National Long-Term Tourism Strategy (NLTTS)
- 2020 Tourism Industry Potential (2020 Potential)
- Tourism 2020
- China 2020 strategic plan
- India 2020 strategic plan
- 2020 Potential for Business Events
- Distribution 2020
- Tourism Australia’s journey 2010 to 2013