Tourism Australia (TA) is the Australian Government agency responsible for growing demand for Australia as a tourism destination, both in Australia and overseas. Our corporate purpose, as laid down in the Tourism Australia Act 2004, is to grow demand and foster a competitive and sustainable tourism industry.
All our activities support our vision of being the most desirable and memorable destination on earth. In striving to achieve this ambitious goal, we are conscious of the importance of respecting and protecting the communities, cultures and lands that are so central to Australia’s destination appeal.
Our Commitment to Sustainable Tourism
Driving awareness of, and capability for a sustainable industry is a defined strategic priority for TA and enshrined within our corporate values.
Our approach is shaped by the following principles:
- We keep our own house in order in living by our employee value: We Do The Right Thing.
- We honour our First Nations people from whom we have much to learn.
- We support others in our industry in adopting practises to operate more sustainably, with positive impact on our land, people and culture.
- We provide a voice for sustainability in our industry: a voice of advocacy and education.
- We prioritise doing business with those in our industry who support sustainability.
- We promote and share tourism stories that inspire sustainability.
- We partner with like-minded organisations to increase our impact and reach.
Planet, profit and people
For TA, sustainable tourism includes protecting and restoring our natural environment, helping to conserve Australia’s natural wonders and cultures, so they can be enjoyed today and by future generations. It also means fostering a profitable industry that delivers employment opportunities and economic benefits to communities, and in turn helps improve the tourism experience for our travellers and the quality of life for Australians.
Advocacy and education
As the National Tourism Organisation, TA has an important role to play in championing and elevating the importance, and the appeal, of sustainable tourism, through our voice of advocacy and education. Our marketing platforms can help Australian tourism businesses to better communicate their sustainability success stories; and, by doing so, help encourage others to follow their lead.
We have identified eight initial key areas of focus for TA:
- Advocacy: showcasing sustainable and purpose driven tourism products, experiences and examples of best practice.
- Leadership: educating and enabling greater capacity for sustainability in our industry.
- Brand: integrating sustainability into Brand Australia to meet growing consumer demand and drive uptake of sustainable tourism experiences.
- Industry support: highlighting and encouraging industry best practice and raising awareness of Australian tourism’s sustainability credentials.
- Office footprint: reducing TA’s general footprint, including in the key areas of waste, energy, travel and procurement.
- Events footprint: reducing TA’s events footprint and encouraging others in the industry to do the same.
- Procurement and partnerships: sourcing from sustainable suppliers and establishing sustainable credentials for our partners and suppliers.
- Culture: embedding sustainability as a core value within TA’s culture, actions and behaviour.
Modern Slavery Statement
To meet the requirements of the Modern Slavery Act 2018, Tourism Australia has developed and published a Modern Slavery Statement. This outlines our commitment to assessing the risks of modern slavery across our supply chain and putting in place appropriate controls, processes, and procedures to manage these risks across the business. Download our Modern Slavery Statement.
Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP)
Our Indigenous Culture and Heritage is an important pillar of our sustainability approach. TA’s recently updated Reconciliation Action Plan reaffirms our commitment to reconciliation and supporting respectful and productive relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, enabling greater cultural awareness and preservation of our cultural heritage. Download our Reconciliation Action Plan
For more information contact email@example.com.