People with access requirements include those with young children in prams, seniors with mobility requirements and people with permanent or temporary disabilities. Their access requirements may include: Physical/mobility; Hearing; Vision; Cognitive.
Australian policies and legislation
National Disability Strategy 2010-2020: The focus of the National Disability Strategy is improving access to mainstream services. A range of actions within the Strategy will help ensure more people with disability can enjoy holiday travel.
Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act 1992: The Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act 1992 protects people with a disability from discrimination and legislates that reasonable adjustments are made to reduce barriers for people with a disability.
Resources and contacts
- Understanding the opportunity for Australia in Accessible Tourism. Tourism Research Australia, in partnership with Tourism, Events and Visitor Economy branch of the Victorian Government, and Tourism and Events Queensland, commissioned a study into accessible tourism in Victoria, Queensland and Australia. The research was conducted between April and August 2017.
- PhotoAbility – Stock image library featuring individuals with disabilities in travel, leisure and lifestyle settings.
- Push Adventures – Push Adventures is a South Australian business, founded in 2014, that offers advice to make tourism businesses inclusive and accessible by a whole range of guests.
- Sydney for All – A visitors' guide to Sydney using universal icons to help users decide which attractions provide the appropriate level of access.
- Accessible Victoria – The official tourist site for Melbourne and Victoria including information on accessible accommodation, activities and attractions and the best ways to get around in Melbourne and Victoria.
- Queensland Inclusive Tourism Guide - The Queensland Government has developed a guide for making businesses more accessible and inclusive to assist tourism operators understand their legal obligations in relation to accessibility, increase their knowledge about the market for inclusive tourism, and develop strategies to improve the accessibility of their business to appeal to a wider range of visitors of all abilities and ages.
- TravAbility – TravAbility is dedicated to Inclusive Tourism through education, advocacy, and by providing accessibility information for the world’s best travel destinations.
- Cangoeverywhere.com.au - A website created to help seniors, baby boomers, people with disabilities and anyone with special requirements, find accessible accommodation, restaurants, activities and more around Australia.
- Travellers Aid Australia – An organisation that provides simple, practical travel-related support and aid to help visitors of all backgrounds travel independently and confidently.
- Vision Australia – Vision Australia (an organisation which assists those with vision impairment) has a large range of fact sheets on issues relating to people who are blind and vision impaired. The fact sheets range from accessible design for homes to customer service tips.
- Inclusive Tourism: Economic Opportunities. This report is part of a project that aims to enable regional tourism businesses and local governments to improve information about and the marketing of inclusive services and products. This project is led by Local Government NSW with the University of Technology Sydney, Institute for Public Policy and Governance providing research support.
- The Good Scout. An Australian accessible travel platform with the mission to ensure that travellers with access needs get the holiday they want.
- Inclusive Tourism - This is a collection of online material that includes digital assets such as images, infographics and a short animation as well as written content like a media release, fact sheet, case studies and a short document summarising new research on the economic opportunities from Inclusive Tourism.
- Getaboutable - Pronounced “Get-About-Able”, a social enterprise focused on improving travel and leisure options for people with disabilities. All profits are re-invested to empower people with disabilities to participate in travel and leisure activities, and to help the travel and leisure sector be more inclusive for people with disabilities.
- Accessible Holiday Accommodation - Choose from a variety of accessible holiday accommodation from basic to complex disabled needs. Be informed about what exactly is provided in terms of accessibility with over 50 answers to your most pressing questions and helpful photos. Feel secure knowing you and your family can have a relaxing stay.
- Studying in Australia - provides information for students with a disability who are studying in Australia.